Are you suffering from sudden diarrhea after eating?
Diarrhea After Eating is a pain in the a**
First let’s describe normal bowel movement. Usually the time that takes for food to travel from your mouth to other end of your body is called bowel transit time. Bowel transit time is from 12 to 48 hours. In some heavy foods it can take up to 72 hours for food to be processed. this considered, you can see that almost at any time you have some unprocessed food in your body. Sometimes it can happen that you need to go to toilet just after meal, but this can be normal. This is because eaten food will push digested food out. this is not diarrhea. It is normal body functioning.
This whole process is controlled by nerves. Stretching of lower part of the colon due to feces triggers nerves that lead with your occupation of toilet.
When you are suffering from diarrhea it is because of nerves controlling bowel movements are irritated. Irritated nerves in lower part of bowels, can cause problems in upper bowels and even in stomach. this is known as defecation reflex. so, if your bowel nerves are irritated in lower part, that can cause defecation reflex to be stimulated as soon as food enters stomach.
There are two situation when you can have diarrhea after eating:
– Diarrhea after eating caused by stretching of the stomach while eating or immediately after a meal – Gastrocolic reflex
– Diarrhea casued by stretching of first part of the small intestine after eating -Duodenocolic reflex
Both these situation stimulate the lower bowels defecation process. this happens almost immediately after eating or within a 20 to 45 minute period.
Some other causes that can give you diarrhea after eating in one or few occasions:
- Gastroenteritis – infection of the bowels that is caused by viruses.
- Combination of certain foods – some foods combinations can irritate nerves in bowels and cause diarrhea
- Magnesium in large quantities can cause diarrhea after eating it
- Food poisoning – diarrhea is the way that body says that something is wrong with the food that you are eating. Always be careful what you eat. Sometimes even change of food habits can cause diarrhea.
If you have long term diarrhea after eating, then it can be casued by one of following:
- Food allergy – if you have allergy on some food, they you will have some other problems like tingling in your mouth. redness in your face and overall you will have an allergic reaction on your skin. this food will cause diarrhea also.
- Lactose intolerance – it can cause bloating and diarrhea
- Rapid gastric emptying – some people have problem that their body is working in a way that it is sending food thru bowels too fast.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – your bowel activity can be exaggerated for no known reason.
- Toddler’s diarrhea – usually caused by to much fruit juices
- Fructose malabsorption– caused by fructose which can be in fruits, honey and other foods
- Inflammatory bowel disease – inflammation of the wall of the bowels probably caused by immune disorder
- Short bowel syndrome – food is not properly digested in the small intestine. this can be due to diseases or if small intestine has been surgically removed.